We do not forget the small delicacies offered by the pastry of our country that bring you this recipe of Extremadura dogs. It is very easy to make pasta, with few ingredients and with all the flavour of tradition. Because the rich and the simple does not have to be at odds.
The Perrunilla are cookies or pasta made with lard very typical of Extremadura and some areas of Castilla. Depending on the region, the recipe for making homemade dogs vary, but they all have in common the simplicity of their preparation and the ability to evoke aromas and flavours. These perrunillas do not include almond among their ingredients and have a mild taste of cinnamon and lemon. It is also very typical to add a splash of anise.
If you want to know how to prepare traditional, delicious and easy-to-eat Extremadura dogs, do not take away this recipe.
Tools for preparing homemade dogs
– Bowl to mix the ingredients
– Baking paper
– Brush to bathe them with egg white
Ingredients for making Extremadura dogs. Quantities for 28 units
– 250 g lard
– 500 g flour
– 150 g white sugar
– Zest of 1 small lemon
– Two eggs L (we use the yolks for the dough and the whites to paint the perrunillas)
– One teaspoon ground cinnamon
– One pinch of salt
– 3 or 4 tablespoons of sugar to decorate
How to make Extremadura dogs
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Wash and grate the lemon skin (only the yellow part, remember). Reserve this lemon zest.
3. Melt the butter in the microwave slightly. This will allow you to work it better.
4. Stir the butter with the sugar until it integrated. You can use a kitchen robot or a manual beater.
5. Incorporate the two egg yolks. Reserve the egg whites for later use. Also, add the lemon zest and mix all the ingredients.
6. Add the previously sifted dry ingredients that are flour, salt and cinnamon. Work with the mixture until you get a uniform dough and it doesn’t stick to your fingers.
7. Form balls with your hands and crush them a little. Try to make them all the same size, so they bake evenly. My trick to making them, all the same, is to weigh the dough portions. The ones you see here had about 40g each.
8. Grease the oven plate with oil or butter so that the dogs do not stick together. You can also use baking paper.
9. Arrange the dogs on the plate, leaving some space between them. Made two batches of 16 portions of pasta, and they fit perfectly to the size of the tray.
10. Paint them with the egg white and sprinkle them with sugar on top. It will create a beautiful and sugary crust that gives them a lot of presence.
11. Bake the pasta at 180 ° C for about 15 or 20 minutes, depending on the thickness and size of your dogs.
12. When the top is golden brown, they will be ready. Remove them from the tray with a spatula and let them cool on a rack. And to enjoy it!
Tips for preparing Extremadura dogs
– Not all flours absorb the same amount of moisture as this capacity will depend on the type of flour and the ambient humidity. That is why the amount of flour that indicate is approximate. In principle, the mass of the perrunillas should have a slightly sandy consistency, but if you see that it has become too dry, you can add a splash of milk at the end.
– Avoid overworking the mass of the dogs, as they will tend to stay hard. Once you see that the flour wholly integrated with the rest of the ingredients, start making the balls.
– These types of homemade pasta last a long time so that you can make homemade dogs in quantity without fear of spoilage. To keep them, once they are cold, store them in a tightly closed can or container and you can enjoy them for several days.
– You have flavoured these homemade perrunillas with a touch of cinnamon and lemon, although it is also very typical to add a splash of anise.